Surf Camp
I've really got to start working on updating more than once a week... but we've been kept so busy here that it's really hard to spend any time reflecting on what we've been doing.
Last weekend I learned how to surf for the first time ever! A bunch of us BU kids went to Surf Camp, a two day retreat to a beautiful beach to learn how to surf. I don't think I did too bad, if I do say so myself. I stood up within the first lesson, so the next three were all about just having fun and keeping it up. It is SO much fun!!! You feel like you've been physically assaulted by the end of the second day, but you don't even notice how hard your body is working when you're out in the water... you're just focused on catching a good wave and riding it in without wiping out.
The wet suits were really attractive (if you're into that kind of thing?) and if you were lucky (as I was) the wet suits will send you home with extra battle wounds. (as if wiping out and smacking your body against the board isn't enough). My wet suit created a lot of friction between the fabric and the back of my knees... so now it looks like a bullet has grazed the backs of my knees. It's kind of cool, actually.
I wasn't as afraid of sharks as I thought I was going to be. I hardly even saw any fish. The beach didn't have much of a rip tide because it was fairly shallow (waist deep) for a hundred meters out, which helps the waves roll for a longer period of time. The waves can get quite big, though. The water was a beautiful blue/green and you could see right to the sandy bottom, so if there were going to be sharks, you'd know it from a pretty good distance. I've got some pictures of it up on webshots.
Speaking of... there should be an active link on the right side of this screen. View all my pictures at once!
It's too hard to post a couple pictures in mid-blog, so I thought if you had the link you could pick and choose whatever you wanted to look at. Woo, go freedom of choice!
Anyway, this week has been busy with tests and essays. They throw it on us pretty thick since our class schedules are a little bit more compact than a regular semester. We only have two more weeks of class and then we have a week break (where we get to travel and do fun things) and then we have 8 or so weeks of an internship. I am pretty excited about my internship. I had my interview this week and it went really well.
Daryl, my internship advisor, actually came with me to the interview. (It was less of an interview and more of a meet-and-greet) He talked me up like it was nobody's business! I almost felt like I wasn't able to get a word in.. But I managed to hold my own, and was appreciative that Daryl was so complementary. I think he was trying to make it understood that I was capable of more than making tea. And they seemed to recieve it well, so hopefully I'll be really challenged. The company is called Cutting Edge... they are a post-production film company focusing on editing. They worked on Superman Returns recently, and have done some really beautiful commercials... you can check them out at www.cuttingedge.com.au.
It's pretty cool, small company, and so far the people seem outstanding. I'm very excited to start up with them in October. I have no idea what I'll be doing there, yet, but it will be cool, regardless.
What else... the weather is starting to warm up here. The air is dry so it's very warm in the sun and very cool in the shade; it's almost hard to get used to it. By mid-October it will be pretty warm nomatter where you're standing, so they say.
If Bern and Deb are reading this: tell Patrick and Clare that I have finally seen quite a few wild cockatoos flying around Sydney lately! They are quite pretty! (and obnoxiously loud!)
My final thoughts (for some reason I feel that Will and Lam might be especially interested in the following)... I have some really great Australian movies to recommend!!! Thanks to my Aussie Cinema class, I've been exposed to quite a few.
My favorite films that I suggest you get your hands on if you can!:
The Castle
-a hilarious film made in 1997 that pokes fun at and with the low-class side of Australian life. The humor is fantastic; I was giggling all the way through. You MUST try to see it!
Walkabout (you may have already seen it as it was an international hit)
-a story about two children who are lost in the outback and saved by an aboriginal boy.
One Night The Moon
-this is also an absolute MUST if you can find it. It is a beautifully told story (a bit of a tearjerker) written and directed by a woman with aboriginal ancestrey. The feature is only an hour in length and probably hard to find.. but worth it, I think. You can see the aboriginal quality as the music is very important in the film and it's tribal custom to tell stories through song.
Last weekend I learned how to surf for the first time ever! A bunch of us BU kids went to Surf Camp, a two day retreat to a beautiful beach to learn how to surf. I don't think I did too bad, if I do say so myself. I stood up within the first lesson, so the next three were all about just having fun and keeping it up. It is SO much fun!!! You feel like you've been physically assaulted by the end of the second day, but you don't even notice how hard your body is working when you're out in the water... you're just focused on catching a good wave and riding it in without wiping out.
The wet suits were really attractive (if you're into that kind of thing?) and if you were lucky (as I was) the wet suits will send you home with extra battle wounds. (as if wiping out and smacking your body against the board isn't enough). My wet suit created a lot of friction between the fabric and the back of my knees... so now it looks like a bullet has grazed the backs of my knees. It's kind of cool, actually.
I wasn't as afraid of sharks as I thought I was going to be. I hardly even saw any fish. The beach didn't have much of a rip tide because it was fairly shallow (waist deep) for a hundred meters out, which helps the waves roll for a longer period of time. The waves can get quite big, though. The water was a beautiful blue/green and you could see right to the sandy bottom, so if there were going to be sharks, you'd know it from a pretty good distance. I've got some pictures of it up on webshots.
Speaking of... there should be an active link on the right side of this screen. View all my pictures at once!
It's too hard to post a couple pictures in mid-blog, so I thought if you had the link you could pick and choose whatever you wanted to look at. Woo, go freedom of choice!
Anyway, this week has been busy with tests and essays. They throw it on us pretty thick since our class schedules are a little bit more compact than a regular semester. We only have two more weeks of class and then we have a week break (where we get to travel and do fun things) and then we have 8 or so weeks of an internship. I am pretty excited about my internship. I had my interview this week and it went really well.
Daryl, my internship advisor, actually came with me to the interview. (It was less of an interview and more of a meet-and-greet) He talked me up like it was nobody's business! I almost felt like I wasn't able to get a word in.. But I managed to hold my own, and was appreciative that Daryl was so complementary. I think he was trying to make it understood that I was capable of more than making tea. And they seemed to recieve it well, so hopefully I'll be really challenged. The company is called Cutting Edge... they are a post-production film company focusing on editing. They worked on Superman Returns recently, and have done some really beautiful commercials... you can check them out at www.cuttingedge.com.au.
It's pretty cool, small company, and so far the people seem outstanding. I'm very excited to start up with them in October. I have no idea what I'll be doing there, yet, but it will be cool, regardless.
What else... the weather is starting to warm up here. The air is dry so it's very warm in the sun and very cool in the shade; it's almost hard to get used to it. By mid-October it will be pretty warm nomatter where you're standing, so they say.
If Bern and Deb are reading this: tell Patrick and Clare that I have finally seen quite a few wild cockatoos flying around Sydney lately! They are quite pretty! (and obnoxiously loud!)
My final thoughts (for some reason I feel that Will and Lam might be especially interested in the following)... I have some really great Australian movies to recommend!!! Thanks to my Aussie Cinema class, I've been exposed to quite a few.
My favorite films that I suggest you get your hands on if you can!:
The Castle
-a hilarious film made in 1997 that pokes fun at and with the low-class side of Australian life. The humor is fantastic; I was giggling all the way through. You MUST try to see it!
Walkabout (you may have already seen it as it was an international hit)
-a story about two children who are lost in the outback and saved by an aboriginal boy.
One Night The Moon
-this is also an absolute MUST if you can find it. It is a beautifully told story (a bit of a tearjerker) written and directed by a woman with aboriginal ancestrey. The feature is only an hour in length and probably hard to find.. but worth it, I think. You can see the aboriginal quality as the music is very important in the film and it's tribal custom to tell stories through song.

1 Comments:
Hey Ms. K,
Read all your blog entries and saw all your pics. Man-o-man, wow-o-wow, we're so jealous. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Glad you have this blog to share your adventures with us. Lots of fun to read. Was able to queue up two of the three films you've mentioned on Netflix. One Night the Moon doesn't seem to be on DVD here. Hopefully it will be in the future. We're sending our love and awaiting your return. In the meantime, keep sending those blogs.
Love,
Will and Lam
Post a Comment
<< Home